Friday, June 10, 2011

The journey to Bend


Since this is my first post, I figure I should introduce myself a bit and talk a little about where I'm working this summer. I'm Kelly, a rising senior Environmental Studies major with minors in Poverty and Education. This summer I will be working with the Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA) in Bend, Oregon. ONDA’s mission is to “protect, defend, and restore forever the health of Oregon’s native deserts.” With the help of dedicated volunteers, they work to identify and protect wilderness areas throughout the state. Their ultimate goal for most of these areas is to have them officially designated as wilderness by Congress. This ensures they are protected forever. 
Getting to Bend was the first part of this summer adventure. I had the opportunity to drive out to Oregon from Houston with my friend Karen, and it was amazing! It took a little over 10 hours to actually get out of Texas, but once we made it out west, we had a great time.
Our route to Bend

Snow-capped peaks on the drive from Durango, CO, to Utah
My favorite stops were definitely in Utah. We visited Arches National Park and Canyonlands, and they were both spectacular. We had a great little hike around Arches and got a little lost at one point, but we were able to see some amazing stuff!
Landscape Arch

One "O" of Double O Arch
Canyonlands

La Sal Mountains
After a night in Salt Lake City and then Boise, we finally arrived in Bend. It was a lot colder than we Texans are used to in the summertime! We went on a drive up to explore around Mt. Bachelor, but we were turned back because of snow. Then it was on to Portland so Karen could catch her flight home.
Mt. Bachelor
Starting to snow on Mt. Bachelor

Three Sisters - Faith, Hope, and Charity
Mt. Hood
And that was the end of our adventure! I just finished up my first week at ONDA, and it's been great so far. We're going on a hike and outreach visit tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that goes and tell you more about the project I'll be working on for the summer!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment